A title insurance policy protects you against loss that could result from many potential defects that may be in your title. The policy guarantees you will never suffer loss from those defects. Examples of claims may include:
- An old lien from a prior owner of your property that was never properly satisfied
- Taxes, assessments or other municipal charges that went unpaid
- Failure to obtain access to or from your land
- Someone claiming they still have rights to your property
- Forged signatures or other frauds that may have occurred in the chain of title
- Mental incompetence of one of the signing parties
- Undisclosed heirs that were never made aware of the Court proceeding that distributed real property from an estate who may not have gotten their" fair share"