It is important you know what to expect when working with us. We have explained that we work By Referral Only™, which benefits you because we can focus our expertise and energy on helping you rather than on looking for our next client. Because the web has made so much great information available to you, it has changed the nature of our role — our focus is now to provide expert advice, ongoing service and resources plus keen negotiating skills in addition to searching for listings for you.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to how we will work together to find you a new home:
- Based on your buyer profile and discussions, we will set you up in our automatic prospecting system, which will sweep the entire MLS® on a daily basis to find homes that match your needs, wants & desires. You will receive a daily email entitled ‘Prospect Matches’ that will show you all the homes that have come on the market for that day or that have been revised or updated in any way.
- Your profile can be changed as we go along, as we both learn more about your likes & dislikes. Just let us know if you’d like to expand, narrow down or change your search criteria at any time, eg. Include/exclude parking, heat, number of bedrooms etc.
- Your primary agent receives a daily email with the same homes you do – so if you have an inquiry about any of the homes, we will have the same info you do, plus broker notes specifically for REALTORS®. Don’t be surprised if you are the one to mention your interest in a property to us rather than the other way around — with the web’s instant access, you might see your dream home before we do!
- The MLS® search is based on districts (i.e. Riverdale and Leslieville are in the E01 district; High Park is in W01) OR on a map search based on the MapArt system of grids OR on a street-by-street search. We will carefully review your needs to select the best search system for you.
- The MLS® search systems are not an exact science. For example, if you are looking in a small pocket within a neighbourhood, you will also receive adjacent homes within that neighbourhood as the system may not be sophisticated enough, depending on the circumstances, to pinpoint exact pockets.
- We will always endeavour to send you MORE MLS® listings rather than less. For example, if you prefer to have a main floor family room but it is not a must, we will ensure you see homes both with and without this feature, so you can get a feel for the market and not miss any great opportunities.
- Obviously, you might receive some homes that you don’t like as you look at your matches. They might be on a busy street, or may require more renovations than you wanted to do. As you look at the pictures and descriptions of the homes on the listings, please feel free to let us know what has caught your eye, what you don’t like and what you’d like more info about.
- Once you contact us with questions or comments on the listings, we will provide you with all the additional details you need. Often, we will be familiar with the streets and the homes themselves. We might have already inspected the home at a different time. We can tell you how busy the street is, whether there are desired amenities nearby, how long the home has been on the market and what other similar homes have sold for (among many other things). We’ll provide you with this ‘inside scoop’ — all you have to do is ask!
- Once you’re interested in a home on paper, it is time to see it in person. Your primary agent will arrange for a private showing, or you might elect to go to the public open house on your own if applicable. Depending on when offers are being held, we’ll make a game plan to look at the homes in person.
- You may choose to look at REALTOR.ca on your own, or drive around your neighbourhoods of interest looking for signs, or use other resources as well. If any home interests you, just let us know and we will find out all the details for you. You may not have received it in your daily Prospect Matches because it doesn’t match your criteria in some way, so we’ll be happy to identify why it didn’t come up.
- Every Friday if desired, you’ll receive a list of the open houses that have come up in your matches for that weekend, so you can visit homes on your own and gain valuable experience.
- Every two weeks, you’ll receive a list of what has sold in the area(s) you’re looking in, so you can see what is going on in the market and get a feel for what to expect in terms of selling prices. Please feel free to contact, Jen, Holly or Tyler with questions or comments about your search, in case you need to revise.