- Long-stemmed love - There is still something about saying it with flowers. We use the sensational Westville Florists at Bloor & Runnymede and everyone raves about them. They offer roses, fresh flowers and arrangements for your sweetheart on Valentine's Day, as well as a variety of gift baskets including stuffed animals, chocolates and balloons. Tel. 416 604 9316
- Want to sweep your girl off her feet this Valentine's Day? Sweep the floor first! One quarter of North American women surveyed said the number one thing that they want their partner to do to indulge them is to help with the household chores. However, if scrubbing the bath sounds too scary, just draw a bath.
- Nineteen percent of women said they wished their significant other would pamper them more. Nothing makes bath-time more fun than deliciously natural body care products from Lush.
- Need more serious pampering? The Chakra Spa on Eglinton Ave. West, voted one of the top 5 for both best massage and best spa by Toronto.com, wants you to have a romantic getaway with your special someone. Pamper your mind, body and spirit this Valentine's with a couples' massage with warm stones while sparkling wine and chocolate dipped strawberries are being served. Tel. 416 784 3438.
- For many years, chocolate was believed to be an aphrodisiac. Casanova, fond of chocolate's divine properties, considered it an elixir of love. Whether you'd go that far or not, we all love it - and quality is everything. Order from such world-renowned chocolatiers as Teuschers or Godiva.
- Enjoy a romantic dinner for two at a restaurant ‘so hip it hurts' according to one reviewer - the Wish at Yonge & Charles. Chic in the extreme, the Wish offers exceptional cuisine and a special Valentine's menu. Tel. 416 935 0240
- Surprise the kid in your loved one with a Valentine Balloon-A-Gram sent to their office. With options such as balloons and champagne, candles, bath beads and romantic messages, we're not talking high school. Blue Sky Balloons at Jane, tel. 416 761 9676.
- Feeling adventurous? Check out Seductions on Yonge near Wellesley - a big box adult department store selling acres of lingerie, toys, books, fantasy, videos and more. If this doesn't put the sizzle back in your relationship, nothing will. Tel. 416 966 6969.
- Time, as MasterCard would say, is Priceless. If you and your honey commemorate every little occasion with gifts, why not give each other the best gift of all this Valentine's - each other's company? Sleep in, prepare a decadent brunch, hold hands and take a walk, go on a date as though you just met. Throw some scented rose petals from Shoppers Drug Mart in the bed, throw some R&B on the stereo, and throw your clothes on the floor.
- Can't think of a divine gift for that special someone? According to surveys, nearly a third of people in romantic relationships just want basic acknowledgment. Go to www.yahoo.ca and send a cute musical e-card, or pick up the phone and call to say “I love you.
- Be spontaneous and plan a completely un-planned evening - because a bouquet of flowers is great, but just picking a wild flower and putting it in your date's hair is even better. The simpler your plans are, the more creative you can be this Valentine's Day
(Note: None of the suggestions above are intended as advertisements/endorsements for the services outlined - they are merely unique gift-giving ideas.)
We want to hear from you! Let us know about your unique Christmas gift or adventure. Send Julie an email at