With the holiday season upon us the question arises once more: how do we keep gift-giving interesting and fun? If you're looking for cool holiday gifts for those hard-to-shop-for loved ones, why not give them a holiday experience they'll remember for years to come? Check out our TOP TEN list of funky gifts to give in Toronto this year:
- For the woman who works hard and needs pampering, check out Clear Day Spa - voted the best in Toronto last year and this year, it is an urban oasis with a Waterfall Wet Room. - www.cleardayspa.com.
- They have figured out a way to combine great Canadian rock with the holiday spirit. Toronto's own Barenaked Ladies come to Massey Hall on December 20 and 21 to sing tunes from their new Holiday album. Oh, if I only had a million dollars... - www.ticketmaster.ca
- Say thank you to valued friends, clients and employees with a Christmas Harbour Cruise complete with buffet, bar and DJ - www.torontoharbour.com
- The whole family will enjoy a present of tickets to Holiday Dreams at Ontario Place - a new winter theme park designed as a winter wonderland, complete with skating, fireworks, hayrides, holiday films, a magical castle, and the Festival of Lights. - Ontario Place or purchase tickets at Dominion stores.
- Honour a loved one by giving a life-changing gift to a Third World family - make a donation in their name of a cuddly goat, piglet or rabbit through the World Vision catalogue. Unlike stuffies, these animals actually save lives. - www.worldvision.org (or donate to your favourite charity in someone's name - what a great way to show you care! Visit Julie's charities page for more ideas.)
- The idea of a gift card is not unique, but deliver it in a unique way and bring a smile to the person who has everything! Buy a number of small-denomination gift cards to the person's favourite restaurants and stores. Mail one a day to coincide with the seven days of Kwanza, the 8 days of Hanukkah or the 12 days of Xmas. A daily surprise in the mailbox!
- Pretend you're a tourist in your own city and book one of the Westin Harbour Castle's romantic packages for a holiday getaway! Packages include such things as spa pampering, late check-out, luxurious robes, champagne and strawberries. You might not want to go home. - www.westin.com/harbourcastle
- Take the pressure off a friend by hiring a caterer for her holiday party. Michelle Irwin will do all the work by catering the finest gourmet fare for everything from four-course dinner parties to cocktail parties. Just supply up to 100 guests, and she and her friendly staff will make you the next Nigella. Tel. 416.537.0926
- For the adult or child of any age who loves to cook, cooking classes from Dish Studio make a perfect gift. They'll learn to prepare a mouthwatering three-course meal that will be sure to make them the designated family chef! - www.dishcookingstudio.com
- Wouldn't it be great to give a wonderful gift that didn't cost you anything? Give the gift of personal service. Create your own gift certificate for things like a homemade dinner, a month of doing dishes, a summer of mowing the lawn etc. It's free and it's fun!
(Note: None of the suggestions above are intended as advertisements/endorsements for the services outlined - they are merely unique gift-giving ideas.)
We want to hear from you! Let us know about your unique Christmas gift or adventure. Send Julie an email at