Volume 16, Issue 6
Call me crazy but I have to say I feel energized these days. The cold weather is setting in which we all know means more time at home. Personally that's particularly exciting this year as we're loving hanging out in our new house! Business wise, it seems both the team and our clients are together adapting and successfully navigating the changing Real Estate market. Despite the tough market and news headlines we continue to work hard everyday, with very satisfied clients, buying and selling homes. I feel very fortunate to be surrounded by such quality people.
Recently Jen and I flew to Vegas to attend a special By Referral OnlyTM conference. There were some great discussions around the "new world" Real Estate Market, which has obviously been devastating in many US cities. They were many not only surviving but thriving agents there, and I wanted to prepare for anything that may hit us up here. Of course, here in Toronto we have not had anything like the US mortgage credit crunch and we are in the best position to recover from this sudden global stock market melt down. I brought back a ton of superb marketing ideas. The most significant obstacle for people is managing the fear that seems to be blanketing the overall economic picture. Despite some "readjusting" (still significant $$ gains for most people selling today), we can't forget the buyer & seller winners...
If you're looking at long-term investments real estate is it. As David Bach says in his Automatic Millionaire Homeowner book "it is time IN the market not timing the market". Finally home buyers get a break after 10 years of being on the short end of the stick.
The most reinforced idea for both Jen and I was the essential need to thoroughly understand our clients needs and to stay clear about them. This is true in a good market and even more true in a tough one.
News from the rest of the team...
Our whole team is psyched for the Ride to Conquer Cancer that we have proudly signed up to participate in next spring. We'll be hosting fundraising events to support this worthy cause as well as training for our 200 km weekend ride! We welcome you to join us as a team member to fight & Ride To Conquer Cancer - let us know! www.conquercancer.ca
Pet detective Jen and her friend Jan took a long drive to a Cree community in Northern Quebec. There they rescued 4 dogs, a mother and 3 one week old pups. The puppies are lab/husky cross and need a home. If you are interested you can contact her directly.
Meanwhile Holly's cultural highlight of the month was at Greener Pastures Gallery on Queen West for the first North American showing of German artist Jonathan Meese; current "bad boy" of the art world. The artist was present, the gallery was packed and the energy was high.
KJ has been taking advantage of some of this great weather by sampling the newly upgraded off-road trails of the Don. He encourages all those with a lust for 2 wheels and a narrow trail to get out there now, there aren't many days left like these.
Other news to share from JKT headquarters - After over 5 years with the team Nicole Salter is pursuing other career opportunities. She was well-known as the go-to girl for all the administrative details, and as a team we are grateful for the care she took in helping us serve you, our trusted clients. We wish her nothing but the best in her future endeavors. We are looking for a qualified, pro-active and enthusiastic person who can contribute to the vitality of our team and overall business. Don't hesitate to spread the word.
Have a great holiday season,
- Looking to renovate? Need permits? Check out our client Mike Preston's new website, www.MPdesign.ca Mike is a residential designer who has recently started his own business after a decade with a high-end design/build firm.
- Our client Dr. Chris O'Toole will be opening Bloor West Village Animal Hospital in the New Year. Currently under construction, the location is conveniently 2100 Bloor St. W., at the NW corner of High Park, near 2 local pet food stores. He is really looking forward to being able to treat the animals in the area & meeting everyone in early '09!
- James Stewart's very proud wife Liane sent us a fab article from MacLean's magazine from August featuring James being on the cutting edge of film directors on the new 3D technology and immersive type of new film making becoming more trendy in Hollywood bigger budget movies.
- Sue Wood is hanging out a "For Rent" sign on her condo (2-bdrm + den) in the Kingsway, and heading out to Vancouver to be near her family. Her two older sons are busy developing a "green" ski - see www.CrownSkis.com for the amazing details. Sue is looking forward to walking the beaches with Mason, a 9-month-old Husky-Doberman cross. Or should I say "galloping"!
- Trove is opening a new store in Bloor West Village! Trove happens to be one of Holly's favorite little fashion boutique's, and one of the owner's Carolyn Eby is our client. Check it out at 2264 Bloor St West. www.Trove.ca for more information.
- Matthew Albiani is excited to share his happy news - October 1 was a big day as he took posession of his first condo (thanks JKT!), AND started a new job. He works at The Haunn Group www.Haunn.ca , a team (Like the Julie Kinnear team) that works with entrepreneurs and their families! They provide succession and tax planning solutions, as well as investments and insurance...
Babies & Weddings
- Fanny & Christian Bouchard are thrilled to announce the birth of their first son Adam Bouchard who safely arrived Aug 15, 2008.
- Jen (Cornwell) & Randy Comish welcomed their 2nd child, Robbie in October, big sis Jaycee is over the moon.
- Congratulations to Michelle Jones & Michael Kralka who got married September 27th in the Distillery district right near the condo we helped them buy...
- A big congratulations to Mike Aird and Jocelyn Brown who married in October.
CURRENT VARIABLE RATE IS 5% CURRENT PRIME RATE IS 4.00%
From Carrie Davidson of Dominion Lending
Are you feeling like Giving Back?
Q: How do you achieve lasting satisfaction that money can't buy?
A: By supporting a great cause!
Making sense of Giving Back for the Holidays
There is a heightened desire to give back over the holidays. And while we're all well intentioned, even the work of figuring out how to help your preferred charity or cause can be overwhelming. We wanted to take some of the work out of the process for you. And remember it isn't about how much time, money or food you give, every little bit goes a long way.
Toy/Food Drives, Volunteering and Holiday Giving to families:
- Adopt a Family: This program links individuals & businesses looking to share the season with others. Call City of Toronto Christmas Bureau at 416-392-3601, Monday to Friday, 8 am - 4:30 pm.
- Chum Christmas Wish Foundation: The CP24/CHUM Christmas Wish has become one of the largest distributors of toys to those in need in the GTA, as well as providing financial assistance to hundreds of agencies. www.Wish.ca
- Toronto Fire Services: Until December 24, Toronto Fire Service locations will accept new unwrapped toys and sporting goods. Firefighter volunteers will distribute the gifts to children ranging in age from infants to 17 years that are in hospitals or shelters. Management staff and TPFFA volunteers will also visit children on Christmas Day.
- Toronto Star Santa Claus Fund: You will help provide gift boxes to 45,000 needy children in the GTA. To donate by VISA or MasterCard, call 416-869-4847. www.Thestar.com
Want to personally volunteer? There are many opportunities... call the Volunteer Centre at 416-961-6888 and they will set you up.
Special Offer for our Valued Clients!
Our clients Kathleen Finlay and Chef David Kokai have just opened the highly regarded Loic Gourmet in Riverside/Leslieville! It makes gourmet lunch & dinner to go with free delivery to your home, office or studio. As special clients of ours the Loic Gourmet owners are pleased to offer a 15% discount (expires Jan 31, 09) per customer for your 1st purchase at Loic Gourmet. Located at 722 Queen St East (near Broadview) Try and remember to bring in a copy of your newsletter to redeem offer. www.LoicGourmet.ca
Did you know?
That more and more households are choosing green power for their homes?
Conventional electricity production is among the largest industrial sources of carbon dioxide, a primary greenhouse gas that is linked to climate change. Bullfrog Power is a leading provider of 100% green electricity and is stirring up a little green competition for the greenest street in Toronto. www.BullFrogPower.com
See who's in the lead for using Bullfrog green power...
Please see below for excerpts of a Toronto Real Estate Board news release. It is referring to actual # of transactions, not prices... For full details go to www.TorontoRealestateBoard.com
The Greater Toronto Area resale housing market reported 5,155 sales in October, Toronto Real Estate Board President Maureen O'Neill announced.
In the City of Toronto, there were 2,136 sales, with sales activity down 38 per cent from the 3,455 transactions recorded last October.
With 68,570 transactions to date this year, sales are within 16 per cent of the 81,563 transactions noted a year ago. The 2007 market referred to was a record breaking year with each month breaking records for the entire year. Putting into perspective 2008 figures are indicative of a return to a more balanced market.
"Earlier this year the International Monetary Fund undertook a study of housing markets in 17 countries and found that Canada was one of only two nations in which house prices are supported by the economy," said Ms. O'Neill. "There's no doubt that real estate will continue to be a solid long-term investment in our country."
The JKT-Holiday Helper List: A Few of Our Favourite things!
For complete recipe's go to newsletters on www.JulieKinnear.com
Check out on-line for my snappy recipe of my all time favourite appy of Baked Brie with Red Pepper Jelly.
As for gifts well, there's nothing quite like a puppy. 3 precious Lab/Husky puppies available. The gift that keeps on taking, uh, I mean giving! If you're interested please email or call me.
Favourite Recipe: Barossa, Ebenezer Cabernet Sauvignon $39.95 No details required...it puts the holiday into any recipe
And gifts...The Tin Taj, 913 Queen St. W, 416.703.7515 right across from Trinity Bellwoods Park, great kid's gifts and a very cool store!
I've got a fave Recipe for Cranberry Bread Pudding with Bourbon Custard
This might be the gift idea for the season. Beautiful personalized stamps and note-cards www.SheSheImpressions.com
It's a personal touch and best of all easy to shop for, delivery takes 10-14 days
Whoever knows me knows I don't cook. My recipe is good friends, relaxed moments (and maybe Mary being the chef extraordinaire!).
As for shopping - I love shopping for my god-daughter at Scooter Girl on Roncesvalles...groovy not your run of the mill kids toys, and the staff are super helpful.
Baked Brie with red pepper jelly
- 1 brie wheel
- 2 packages of Pillsbury crescent dough
- red pepper jelly
Peel the rhine off of the brie. On a cookie sheet, spread out the crescent dough. Put the brie on the dough. Spread red pepper jelly over the top, then completely cover with the crescent dough. Be sure to seal all the seams well so the cheese doesn't ooze out.
It's done when the dough turns to a golden brown and the cheese has melted inside.
Serve with crackers.
See a For Sale Sign/Sold you were wondering about? We are happy to let you know about houses in your neighbourhood - feel free to contact us at:
The Julie Kinnear Team's GEMs (Genuine Evidence of Merit)
"Thank you thank you thank you". You did a wonderful job getting our condo sold quickly... We knew you were the one from our initial meeting. Thanks for all the hard work, the swiftness, and all the answers to our endless questions. It is much appreciated... We are both very happy in the new home.... It was meant to be. Lina and Michael S.
What They Got! A continuing column of some of the Julie Kinnear Team's Sales
20 Bartlett Avenue
Dovercourt / Dufferin Grove
20 Bartlett Avenue
Asking Price: $569k
Solding Price: $515k
91 springdale Boulevard
91 Springdale Boulevard
Asking Price: $439k
Solding Price: $445k
78 Caroline Avenue
78 Caroline Avenue
Asking Price: $479900
Solding Price: $501k