Vol. 19, Issue 6, November 2011
JULIE' S SCOOP
Photo by Ken Hawkins
Howdy! The Fall is upon us – don't you love all the traditions? Thanksgiving, leaves changing, Hallowe'en – all those amazing decorations in the neighbourhood houses seems to becoming bigger every year! Our JKT Pumpkin Patch was a fun event – we ended up giving out hundreds of pumpkins – and raising a lot of money & food for The Food Bank. It was fun to see so many happy smiles. Check out our pictures and costumes on our website or our Facebook Fan page. Now the Royal Winter Fair is on – hopefully you made some time to see the horses & all the animals & agricultural events! Next up is the One of a Kind Christmas show. I can't wait for the Holiday parties, an easy & ideal time to give back – see info about the Toy Raiser below. Mary & I are encouraging everyone donating an unwrapped toy at our holiday party to consider this toy-raiser double benefit.
Speaking of giving back, our team has chosen Habitat For Humanity as our personal charity to volunteer for – we've been to the orientation & are looking forward to our first build day in December. What an admirable company and cause – they really empower recipients lives & really help in their future. It is so well organized & run by the volunteers that the money raised goes right back to helping more people.
Photo by Derek Key
Other exciting team news – we're all taking off for a short pre-Christmas retreat together to Bahamas. I am extremely proud of everyone's hard work and individual contributions - The JKT is most definitely a "team effort". What a unique opportunity to bond together, and to focus on our goals and strategize for next year in a relaxing setting "away from it all".
Our team dynamics continue to evolve. Jen Palacios has now taken on the role of Director of the Buyer Division. Hope you enjoy her first column Buyer Better Believe It. She'll be spearheading the growth and improvement in the way we help our buyer clients solve the Toronto real estate market.
Look for our handy desk calendar coming soon and our greeting card with Holly's artwork featured. It never ceases to amaze us how multi-talented she is!
The housing market continues quite strongly overall. I know there is a lot of speculation on how we will fare with other parts of the world struggling financially. There seems to be a myriad of views on the subject. We are giving as much up-to-date information to our active clients as possible. Here in Toronto there seems to be a fluctuation on sales – some go crazy in bidding wars, and some are having to be reduced and not selling nearly as quickly as expected. It keeps being mentioned about the mortgage rates being a real driver of the market and it is true – the long term rates are once again at historic lows, although interestingly the shorter term and variable rates are not as competitive as they have been. Guiding you home,
P.S. We are grateful for your ongoing support and trusting us with your family, friends and colleagues. Your referrals are needed and much appreciated!
QUOTE of the day: Remembrance Day
Whether we live together in confidence and cohesion; with more faith and pride in ourselves and less self-doubt and hesitation; strong in the conviction that the destiny of Canada is to unite, not divide; sharing in co-operation, not in separation or in conflict; respecting our past and welcoming our future.
~ Lester Pearson
- Chris Jones has generously offered a big ticket giveaway to Young People's Theatre for our clients! There is a family four-pack of tickets available for any of the Mainstage productions this season (subject to availability). Look out for our trivia question in our next Krazy Kontest December 1st for your chance to win this great family fun night just in time for Christmas.
Young People's Theatre is the largest Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA)company in Canada & a significant institution in the Canadian professional theatre community. Learning is at the centre. In addition to being a producer and presenter of theatre, YPT has also been home to a year-round Drama School for youth since 1969. YPT desire is to have a positive & lasting impact on the emotional, social, and intellectual development of young people in order for them to grow into the unique &
Photo by Barry Solow
- wonderful people they were born to be. We need art to help us interpret the universe, connect with each other, and imagine a better future. Three streams of performance are given importance. Firstly, the classics of children's literature from around the world offer children membership in an ancient childhood, renewing in them the images & inspirations of our own lives as children. Secondly, contemporary works & vigorous new Canadian play development ensure continuing relevance to the real lives of kids. Finally, the Drama School creates theatre for youth by youth.
- Maria Mourtzis is very proud that the Hazelton Hotel & Private Residences where she works came in the #1 spot in Toronto and #6 in Canada for the best hotels. See this site that lists all the top rated hotels around the world for your next vacation ideas
Babies! Sincere Congratulations!!
Photo by Paul Sapiano
- June Quan & Travis Waite are very happy to share some good news. Claire was born on October 27th, weighing 4lb 14 oz. Claire was a little bit too excited to join us all and came 5 weeks early. We spent a few extra days at the hospital for observation. We are all doing very well and Claire is happy, healthy and growing quickly.
- David & Jen Chiu. Their family had something extra special to be thankful this year at Thanksgiving - a brand new addition! Madeleine Joyce arrived on October 4th at 7:05am in a room looking out over the mountains at Lions Gate Hospital, North Vancouver. She decided to make her grand entrance nine days early, but it was probably for the best as she weighed in at a very robust 8lbs 2oz. Proud brother Bennett was unexpectedly on hand for the big event.
- Tina & Mike Morris are the proud new parents to their new little guy Christopher Joseph born October 4th, a healthy 9lbs 12oz 2011. Happy older brother Will.
Pace of Home Sales Remained Brisk in October
MARKET WATCH excerpts from Toronto Real Estate Board
November 3, 2011 - Greater Toronto REALTORS® reported 7,642 home sales through the TorontoMLS® in October 2011. This represented an increase of 17.5 per cent compared to the 6,504 transactions reported in October 2010.
"The pace of October resale home transactions remained brisk in the GTA. This bodes well for a strong finish to 2011," said Toronto Real Estate Board President Richard Silver. "Home buyers who found it difficult to make a deal in the spring and summer due to a shortage of listings have benefitted from increased supply in the fall."
Photo by SanGatiche
The average selling price through the TorontoMLS® in October was $478,137 – up eight per cent compared to October 2010.
"Sellers' market conditions remain in place in many parts of the GTA. The result has been above-average annual rates of price growth for most home types," said Jason Mercer, the Toronto Real Estate Board's Senior Manager of Market Analysis. "Thanks to low interest rates, strong price growth has not substantially changed the positive affordability picture in the City of Toronto and surrounding regions."
Are You Feeling Like Giving Back?
Charity of the Month – Just in time for Christmas – a "TOY RAISER"
Photo by Chris
Julie Ross-O'Toole is doing 2 toy fundraisers with the educational toys by Discovery Toys. One is for the children in the oncology ward at Sick Kids Hospital, and one is for her girlfriend who has 3 kids & is battling cancer. Check out the full catalogue online – but - the order needs to placed directly through Julie by December 7th, 2011 in time for delivery for Christmas. 15%-30% of all sales will go towards toys for these children to hopefully bring some joy for the holidays. People are also more than welcome to donate toys as well! Julie can be reached by phone 647-895-9259, email or by Facebook page Discovery Toys - Julie O'Toole to go towards the Toy-raiser.
Did You Know?
Many of our clients have had their personal experiences with The JKT caught on video instead of the regular written word – they're even posted on Youtube! We so appreciate your kind testimonials. Our Youtube channel "JulieKinnear" is growing exponentially and has had now over 63,380 hits!
What they got!
A continuing column of The Julie Kinnear Team's sales…
72 Grenview Boulevard South - Sunnylea
Asking Price: $1,349,000
Selling Price: $1,402,000
18 Riverdale Avenue – Prime Riverdale
Asking Price: $879,000
Selling Price: $863,000
43 Woburn Avenue – Yonge & Lawrence
Asking Price: $769,000
Selling Price: $780,000
80 Medland Crescent - High Park
Asking Price: $599,000
Selling Price: $630,000
171 Craighurst Avenue – Lytton Park
Asking Price: $629,000
Selling Price: $740,000
25 Glebeholme Boulevard – Danforth Village
Asking Price: $550,000
Selling Price: $614,000
See a For Sale Sign/Sold you were wondering about? We are happy to let you know about houses in your neighbourhood - feel free to contact Steph at:
Our purpose is for you to be so outrageously happy with the service we provide that you gladly refer us to your friends and family before you've even bought or sold with us!
Buyer Better Believe It! editorial by JKT member Jen Palacios
Buying a new home can be exciting and exhilarating – it can also be scary and daunting. This new section is to help remove the scary and daunting out of the process. If you know someone who is considering buying a new home, impress them with the knowledge you gain from my new column – then give them our name and we'll take it from there!
Today's topic: The Advantage of a Mortgage Broker Vs Your Own Bank
Photo by James Thompson
It is smart to use a mortgage broker to get your mortgage pre-approval and mortgage. Mortgage brokers are not tied into one institution - they work with all the major banks, as well as lenders that do not deal directly with the public.
A mortgage broker is able to search out the best rates available and will negotiate deals with various lenders on your behalf. Since they specialize in this area they also know the tricks of the trade to make sure that you know what's going on behind the scenes and that you have lots of options. Since they are paid by whichever institution that provides the mortgage for you, it costs you nothing.
Just like travel agents, or when buying your real estate - they search out the best deal for you, and you don't have to pay them!! It's a win/win!!
Need the contact information for a great mortgage broker? Shoot me an e-mail and I'd be happy to provide you with some names:
Next topic: How does a Mortgage Pre-approval Help Me When Buying?
Mortgage rates – Courtesy of Carrie Davidson AMP, Dominion Lending Mortgage Brokers www.carriedavidson.com Phone: 416-693-6946
Some conditions may apply.
Rates subject to change without notice. *O.A.C. E. & O.E.
The Julie Kinnear Team's GEMs (Genuine Evidence of Merit)
"Hi Julie! Firstly, you are very welcome for the referral...it goes both ways. You've helped me in the past...and did so in your unique "way" that assured me YOU AND YOUR TEAM would be getting my business in future. Thank you for being so recommendable! Excellence shines through in all you do, and it gets noticed! Hope you and yours are well. Best always, Esther Epp"
The JKT – A Few of Our Favourite Things:
- E-mail money transfers – They are so fast, efficient and no messing around with "The cheque is in the mail" just email the money!
- Apple Auto Glass on Laird – They were so nice, speedy and I know have the cleanest windshield ever!
- 17 degrees and sunny in November!
- Truffle Frites – At 17 steps in Bloor West Village, very yummy!
- Red wine
- Sorauren Park - Not only do I love it for all the dogs and people I have met since getting my girlz, but the Halloween Pumpkin Parade on Nov. 1 is AWE-some. Pumpkin carving has come a very long way! People come from all over the city and it makes me love my neighbourhood!
Photo by Eustaquio Santimano
- The JKT Team Trip to Bahamas that is coming up. It is a testament to making goals and reaching them has great benefits.
- Free coffee week at McDonalds!
- Trip to Bahamas – Looking so forward to sunshine, ocean and white sand, as well as some R & R away from my regular routine!
- Christmas on the horizon – Yes I am one of those crazy x-mas people that look forward to seeing all the store displays just after Halloween. Can't wait for all the Christmas classics on TV.
- Movember – it is not only amusing to watch friends, colleagues & clients "grow their mo" - it is such a cool way to visually see people raise awareness for men's health – and specifically in Canada, prostate cancer. Keep up the good work boys!! Happy to support you!
- Our Lawrence Park Reunion - Class of '87. Had to miss the open house at the school as it was the same day as our Pumpkin Fest, but meeting up with old pals at The Rose & Crown that evening was a blast from the past.