170 Cowan Avenue | West Toronto - ParkdaleSold
Story Book Victorian Gem With Basement Suite & Garage/Studio.
This is by far one of the coolest homes you will find on the market today! Escape to a different sense of time and place in this beautifully refurbished 1880’s 2 storey detached Victorian with modern day bells and whistles yet oozing original period charm, craftsmanship and character throughout.
Story Book Victorian Gem With Basement Suite & Garage/Studio
Fairy tale setting envelopes you in the magical front and back perennial gardens & nature retreat on this 25 x 163.00 foot extra deep lot. Check out the heated & insulated studio/garage! A quiet haven yet in a prime location in happening Parkdale just half a block to either Queen or King Street West!
More Noteworthy Items Inside & Out
- Only the 4th owner in approximately 135 years. Believed to be the church Manse once upon a time.
- Picture worthy curb appeal from the moment you glimpse the house. Much larger than it appears!
- Main floor family and main floor powder room
- Renovated kitchen - Plenty of room to entertain family and friends
- 3 bedrooms plus sunroom / office on 2nd floor
Prepare to fall in love with a tub like no other! This circa 1881 antique tin claw foot tub is a show piece. You will definitely be inviting friends and family upstairs to have a look at this.
Renovated & fully finished lower level nanny or "in-law" suite with separate entrance = potential rental income.
- Numerous mechanical upgrades including wiring, windows and radiant water heated floors throughout (removed the ceilings to ensure the hardwood floors stayed intact!)
- Insulated and heated garage / studio - easily fits an SUV, and includes a concrete pad, yet converted into a dream workshop - artist studio - musicians lair...
Live in the heart of Old Parkdale on one of the premier mature and pretty tree-lined streets. This established "Village" type neighbourhood and artist enclave is walking distance to shops, restaurants, public transit, public library, rec. centre and Masaryk children's park. You are also within minutes to other hip neighbourhoods the city has to offer like Roncesvalles, Liberty Village, the Ossington strip, West Queen West and the Waterfront! Open community vibe makes this an ideal spot to call home.
Elegant Principal Rooms on the Main Floor
- Enjoy hours of relaxation on the welcoming covered porch. White picket fully fenced-in front yard with low maintenance perennials. Nicely set back from the street.
- Double door entry with stained glass window. Vestibule for inclement weather and admiring the oak inlaid doors.
- Extra special original tin walls and ceiling! Check out the vintage door knobs.
- Formal living room / parlour with broad bay window and double French doors opening into the dining room. A little quiet time and privacy when the kids are playing in the main floor family room!
- Host lavish dinner parties in the spacious dining room - plenty of capacity to fit your table, chairs, buffet hutch and then some.
- Modern bright kitchen with granite counters, stainless steel appliances, curio cabinet, tiled floor, subway tiled backsplash and double French doors that overlooks the family room. Great to keep an eye on the children when cooking.
- Cozy family room walks out to the back deck and yard. Note the "olde fashioned" back door just another one of those cute extras.
- Hardwood floors throughout. California wood shutters.
- 2 piece powder room is well hidden.
- Separate side door entrance to the lower level.
- Breathtaking backyard oasis! Get lost among the trees and the different sitting areas to revel in the warmer weather. Surround yourself in nature in the majestic perennial garden. Lovely flagstone patio & paths, large custom garden shed and back deck for entertaining. Yes friends and family have gathered for weddings in the backyard and big milestone birthdays! Fire pit fun all year round.
Superb Space for the Whole Family on the Second Floor
- Front facing master bedroom with a closet plus additional closet off the hallway.
- Handsome hardwood floors throughout.
- The 2nd and 3rd bedrooms are good sizes.
- The office/sunroom/artist studio/4th bedroom faces the backyard. The windows on 3 sides brings in the treetops and greenery, a nice breeze and a cottage feel. Soak up the sun and feel inspired! 4 gorgeous stained glass windows.
- Luxurious 4 piece spa bath with incredible tin claw foot tub, separate enclosed glass shower, pedestal sink, wainscotting and built-in linen closet.
Renovated Lower Level -- Potential Income Helper
- Separate entrance allows this space to be used for a potential rental income or great space for visiting guest/in-laws or live in care workers.
- Very cool exposed stone wall and wood pillars add warmth & character to the space.
- Open concept living/recreation room with pot lighting and upgraded laminate wood floors.
- Bright white and upgraded kitchen with tiled floors and backsplash.
- 4 piece bath with linen closet.
- Double closet and built-in shelving.
- Well laid out for shared Laundry - Sellers are environmentally friendly and don't use a dryer - radiant floors efficiently dry everything hung on rack and keeps air moist! Convenient even if big family and raising children at home.
- Ample storage space.
- Utility closet with owned hot water tank and radiant heat system.
Hot Queen West/Parkdale Location!
A vibrant neighbourhood with a mix of old world and gentrification! Family-friendly and blessed with excellent transportation routes plus a varied commercial shopping district, this area also boasts parkland & recreational opportunities within walking distance.
Quiet, well maintained low rise building next door at 176 Cowan is called Cathedral Place, a senior's residence. Wonderful neighbours on south side have 2 young children.
Enjoy mainstays such as: Miss Thing's a retro-style spot with tropical accents serving innovative Polynesian dishes & Tiki cocktails. Electric Mud BBQ has some of the best smoked meat in town. Doomie's offers vegan comfort food staples & craft beers. Grand Electric is a hip bustling space for tacos, tunes and creative Mexican fare. The Tempered Room at the top of the street is a fabulous patisserie and across the street is Capital Espresso truly has some of the best coffee in the city. New & exciting spots continue to sprout up! We're big fans of Made You Look jewellery, a neighbourhood mainstay and artistic treat.
Plenty of parks surround! Masaryk Park located conveniently right across the street! This half hectare park features a community garden, a wading pool and a children's playground. The park is just south of the Masaryk-Cowan Community Centre where you can enjoy a myriad of recreational, art, sports and fitness programs.
An appreciation for the outdoors -- easy access to the endless Martin Goodman Trail that spans the whole waterfront of Toronto on lovely Lake Ontario, accessible via Jamieson. High Park, the jewel of the Toronto Parks system with its 399 acres of public parkland including Grenadier Pond is not far west.
Desirable neighbourhood schools attracts many families with school age children -- Queen Victoria PS, renovated and revitalized Parkdale Jr. & Sr. PS, Holy Family Catholic School. Parkdale Collegiate is an oasis, nurturing all who discover it, introducing programs that students love, including an enhanced PreBaccalaureate program and acclaimed International Baccalaureate Programme.
At the top of Cowan Ave. is Parkdale Public Library on Queen Street with plenty of programming.
Convenient to CNE grounds, BMO Field & The Palais Royale. Attention hospital workers - Easy access to the refurbished massive St. Joseph's Hospital!
Go Green! Get downtown in minutes -- Streetcars on Queen St, King bring you straight downtown. Or Bus via Lansdowne to TTC Subway on the Bloor-Danforth line and the GO train station and airport UP Express!
For convenience when driving, it is a quick trip downtown via Gardiner/Lakeshore or out of town via QEW. Pearson Airport & 400 series highways are easily accessible from this location.
Mechanical Upgrades & Improvements:
- Extensive work in past year- improvements including roof, wiring, heating
- Radiant heat system - major overhaul & replaced parts in 2018 - like new!
- Upgraded Wiring - no knob & tube
- Thermal windows except for a few at front
- Owned hot water tank
- Removed asbestos
- Back flow preventer
- 3/4 inch copper coming in
Asking price $1,249,900
Schools available for residents of 170 Cowan Avenue
Check for your house number!
|Former Municipality||Street Name||Street Number Range||Elementary||Intermediate||Secondary||Technological Programming|
|Toronto||Cowan Ave||All Numbers||Queen Victoria PS||Queen Victoria PS||Parkdale CI||Western Tech|