|ADDRESS||100 Queen Street West, Toronto|
|OPENING HOURS||May 29, 2019 to October 16, 2019
Wednesdays from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM
|CONNECT||Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram|
The Ontario Farm Fresh Marketing Association (OFFMA) was founded in 1973 as a not-for-profit, educational, and promotional organization for Ontario farm marketers.
Members of the OFFMA are dedicated Ontario farmers with a keen interest in promoting the direct farm sales industry and encouraging improvements and maintaining integrity in the industry.
OFFMA's main goal is to get more people to "Get Fresh - Visit a Farm," and being the number one source for local food in Ontario, they've put together these 7 reasons why you should buy local and eat in season:
- Freshness – locally grown fruits and vegetables are usually harvested the same day as they are sold. When crops are picked at their peak and hand-crafted, the freshness is captured in the farmstead cheeses or the fruit preserves. You can't beat the flavour of fresh.
- Environment – the environmental impact is reduced by using less energy for transportation, refrigeration, processing and packaging. Well managed farms provide ecosystem services: they conserve fertile soil. Protect water sources and sequester carbon from the atmosphere.
- Economy – buying locally and eating seasonally supports the local economy, helps keep farms in business and create local jobs. Responsibly raised foods may cost more at the cash register, but their long term costs to the environment and society are far less.
- Variety – farmers selling locally can grow unusual varieties and are not limited to only the ones that are useful for shipping and long shelf life. This ensures genetic and crop diversity.
- Safe Food – ensure that you know where and how your food is grown and by whom. Local farmers aren’t anonymous and they take their responsibility to the consumer seriously. Know your farmer – Know your food!
- Fun activity – picking your own fruit and vegetables and visiting a farm to ride a hay wagon or go through a maze is great exercise and fun family activity.
- Local food is an investment in the future – By supporting local farmers today, you are helping to ensure that there will be farms in your community tomorrow. It also helps to ensure that those farm families can continue to supply you and your grandchildren with healthy, delicious food.
Visit OFFMA's market stands at Nathan Phillips Square every Wednesday from 8 AM to 2 PM!