You’ve purchased a new home and you want to make it entirely you. Maybe you’ve been in your home a long while and you want to jazz it up, make a new look. There’s only one thing stopping you. Your budget.
Ideas are as simple as perhaps buying a different brand of a specific product, shopping at a different store, changing the product's material or switching to a different colour.
We talked about how to make your home look great on a budget with Alison Mercer, with Stage 73 Design, which provides home staging and interior decorating throughout GTA.
Luxury and glamour don't have to come with a high price tag. Some of the tricks I have learned over the years are downright budget, while delivering big impact.
Here’s a list of higher end design trends, with a budget alternative, so you can give your home a boost from geek to chic without emptying the bank.
Prices may vary depending on sales, time of purchase.
For awhile now, stainless steel has been the cream of the crop when it comes to kitchen design. Gone are the days when almond and green appliances were the way to go, and even white has been on a downward trend.
Stainless steel is attractive, goes with any colour palate and is easy to clean. Now you can up the sleek and stylish ante with black stainless steel appliances.
- LG 24 cubic foot refrigerator in black stainless steel, Leon’s Furniture $4,299.00
- Samsung 22.5 cubic foot refrigerator in black stainless steel, Leon’s Furniture $3,199.00
You can certainly find black stainless steel with a lower price point. But if you’re finding it’s still pressuring your budget, go with a different colour, like a traditional white and introduce black in the kitchen in another way, by painting your cupboards for instance.
- Samsung 22 cubic foot in black stainless steel, Canadian Appliance Source $1,599.99
- Samsung 21.6 cubic foot in stainless steel, Coast Appliances $1,299.00
- LG 24" dishwasher in black stainless steel, Hudson’s Bay $1,799.99
- LG 24" dishwasher in black stainless steel, Leon’s Furniture $1,399.00
- Whirlpool 24" dishwasher in stainless steel, Best Buy $499.00
- Samsung 24" dishwasher in black stainless steel, Leon’s Furniture $899.00
The sofa is usually the centrepiece of a living room. Currently trending according to Elle Decor are sofas with "big, blowsy, blossoms of the past".
Not only are floral prints you may have seen in your grandmother’s home a big deal, also trending in furniture stores are sofas and sectionals with exposed legs of wood and/or metal materials, giving off a retro chic vibe.
While sitting on your new, bold sofa, you’ll want to watch the best television has to offer. We also took a look at which TVs will have you in the front row seat for your favourite sports team or television drama.
- Mansfield leather sofa, Ethan Allan $5,199.00
- Alexandria sofa in Giotto Marsala, Equilibrium Furnishings $3,999.00
- Skyline Furniture armless Loveseat in Lilith Marigold, Overstock.com $712.97
- Stocksund, IKEA $849.00
Bathrooms are fast becoming one of the most luxurious rooms in the home. Whether it be a freestanding tub - a blast from the past, which is becoming a must-have once again - or fog-free mirrors for ease of getting ready in the morning, you might find yourself spending more and more time in the loo.
- Sunstruck 66" by 36" oval freestanding VibrAcoustic bath, Kohler $6,056.20
- Antoine 5 feet 6" acrylic freestanding bathtub, Home Depot $2,452.32
- Victoria 4 feet 11" freestanding clawfoot bathtub, Home Depot $672.00
- Sanford cast iron clawfoot tub, Signature Hardware $999.00
- Big Sexy full-length, fog-free mirror, ClearMirror $4,440.00
Instead of buying a fog free mirror, you can purchase a defogger for a fraction of the cost.
- Rect 12"x18" mirror defogger, Warmly Yours $59.00
Bedrooms are our hide-aways and nothing can add a touch of elegance more than a lush rug - Elle Decor says Cameron Diaz is rocking a Masour Modern rug in her room - while your rug makes your floor look your best, your coverlet or duvet is going to make you look your best as you drift off to sleep.
Mercer agrees adding with lots of layers in your chosen style, your bed will look magazine ready.
Try a coverlet topped with a folded duvet [and] at least four pillows with coordinating covers or shams and a duo or trio of accent cushions. Top it all off with a thick faux fur throw and you've got yourself a gorgeous bed.
- Persian Top Quality Tabriz, 10x7, Lashar Rugs $6,000.00
- New Jaipur Vegi, 8x10, Toronto Persian Rugs $995.00
- Sweet Dreams, King Vermont Plaid Coverlet, Horchow $975.00
- Carriage Blanket in Honey, Matteo Los Angeles $494.00
- Plum & Bow Mya Chenille medallion coverlet, Urban Outfitters from $129.00
- Laura Ashley Birds and Branches queen quilt, Hudson's Bay $118.99
The garage is usually the last room you see when leaving for work in the morning and the first you see when you get home at night so you don't want it lagging behind in style.
- PhantomPark Subterranean Parking Lifts, American Custom Lifts $55,000
- NewAge Products Bold 3.0 Series 8 piece garage storage cabinet, Wayfair.ca $2,995.99
When it comes to budget alternatives for a car elevator, the best advice is not installing one at all.
- PrePac Hangups 120" storage cabinet set, Home Depot $1,569.00
It's not just specific rooms or spaces where you can have a luxury look on a budget says Mercer.
Repetition is a powerful tool, especially on a tight budget. If you find a beautiful mirror at a great price, consider buying two, or even three depending on the size. Hanging multiples gives a sense of composition whereas singles tend to look haphazard. The same holds true for art - survey the online poster shops for an image you love. Buy posters in sizes that will fit into pre-fab frames - avoiding the need for custom framing will save you an enormous amount of money.
Did we miss anything? We would love to hear your own experience with improving your home interior without gong broke. Share with us in the comments!