Relocating for work or school? Deduct your moving expenses

You can deduct eligible moving expenses from employment or self-employment income you earn at your new location if you move and establish a new home to be employed or carry on a business.

You can also deduct moving expenses if you move to study courses as a full-time student at a college, university, or other institution offering post-secondary education. However, you can only deduct these expenses from the taxable portion of your scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, certain prizes, and research grants.

Your new home must be at least 40 kilometers (by the shortest usual public route) closer to the new place of work or educational institution. You must establish your new home as the place where you ordinarily reside. For example, you have established a new home if you have sold or rented (or advertised for sale or rent) your old home.

Generally, your move must be from one place in Canada to another place in Canada.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *